I had a plethora of blueberries in my freezer that I desperately needed to use up. So I did some searching for a healthy blueberry muffin. I love blueberry muffins so much but considering bakery style muffins are usually loaded with butter and sugar I decided there has to be a better option.
Much to my delight I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and with a few mondfications to make them a bit healthier these turned out to be just what I was looking for.
These by no means are the enormous sugar/butter laden bakery style muffins I so dearly love, but they are a sweet healthy change to my usual oats for breakfast. When paired with a warm cup of tea these lovely muffins make a great afternoon snack as well.
1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (reserve 2 T)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup blueberries, rinsed and drained
- Combine oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix in milk, egg, and apple sauce; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Toss blueberries with 2 T flour, to ensure that they do not fall to the bottom of the muffins. Fold in blueberries. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes.
These muffins were gone in a matter of days…..Jonathan and little Ava loved them. I love how these muffins are just the right amount of sweet. If you are looking for a super sweet muffin this is recipe is NOT for you. They are lightly sweetened.
My poor computer is still broken. Posts maybe sporadic. 😦